The official foundation of the German association for child and adolescent psychiatry took place on September 5, 1940, in Vienna as "German Society for Child Psychiatry and Therapeutic Education". Its first president was Paul Schröder, head of department of the psychiatry at the University of Leipzig. During the Second World War, under the Nazi regime, the German child psychiatry was also involved in the euthanasia program and thousands of mentally handicapped and psychiatrically ill children were murdered with its cooperation.
In 1950, the "German Association for Youth Psychiatry" was refounded as a medical association, but with intensive cooperation of other disciplines such as therapeutic education, law, clinical psychology, psychiatry and pediatrics.
(Remschmidt- van Engeland: Child Psychiatry in Europe. Historical development, current situation, future perspectives Steinkopff und Springer, 1999, p. 118)
Until the German reunification the Neuropsychiatry of Childhood in GDR belonged to the “German Society for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry”. With a resolution on a general meeting in 1994 this name changed into “German Society for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy”.
At the moment the German Association for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy commissioned a project for medical historical researches of the society under the Nazi regime. The research group started its work in July 2014.